Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Success

"'Success?' Well, I don't know quite what you mean by success. Material success? Worldly success? Personal, emotional success? The people I consider successful are so because of how they handle their responsibilities to other people, how they approach the future, people who have a full sense of the value of their life and what they want to do with it. I call people 'successful' not because they have money or their business is doing well but because, as human beings, they have a fully developed sense of being alive and engaged in a lifetime task of collaboration with other human beings - their mothers and fathers, their family, their friends, their loved ones, the friends who are dying, the friends who are being born."

Parade (March 9, 1997)

This is a quote from Ralph Fiennes. I got it from ralph-fiennes.net and I agree for what he said what success about. That is the real succcess mean -- in my opinion. But unfortunately many people measured success as only material success. Not many people appreciate the successful as ‘you are and your world that give you happiness’ only. They just simplify it by material success.

According to that, I am not the successful person either. I am not really happy, I am not really engaged with my environment, my family, my friends. I am alienated, at least I feel alienated all the times. So … successful is far away from me.

Luckily, Ralph had show me what succesful is. And maybe I should take backward a few step and stop to think what I’ve been doing wrong. Start evaluating my relationship to other people around me, my kids, my spouse, my (very few) friends, my brother and sisters. Take a few breaks. Take a deep breath.

I think if we can live the life to the fullest, we can live here and now, mean every single word we say, then we can be called as success people.

Is it? Or is this just a hopeless thought of a person who feel really unsuccessful?

No comments: